Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Varmint


That's what I call my daughter; The Varmint. When her mother was pregnant I thought it unseemly to call the fetus "it." After all she wasn't a brick, tree, or other inanimate object. I took to calling the fetus "critter." After my lovely daughter Hannah Elizabeth made her way into this world of man her true nature became evident and as time went by she became known as The Varmint.
She started kindergarten this year and I love to go to her school and watch her during recess when she's running around outside. If you're a glass is half empty sort of person you'd say that she's bossy. If you're the half full person you might say that she is a natural leader. She has a little posse that she runs around the playground playing this and that kid game. As a father more biased than NPR I see a pre-school Patton leading around her armored divisions. She even has a little boy who is a friend. As she points out to me; "He's not my boyfriend!" She can spell his name, takes her naps next to him, and knows that he has blue eyes "...like mine." Someday a real boyfriend will steal her away but for now I won't worry. Much.

No comments: