Monday, February 13, 2006

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Following a link in a short piece at YARGB lead me to more feelings of unease about Iran. Near the end of the article Herbert E. Meyer titles a chapter "It Isn’t Only Nukes."

Why is it, the more I learn about the capabilities and motivations of Ahmadinejad's Iran I'm reminded of Han Solo when he first sees the Death Star in the inital Star Wars movie. As his apprehension grows, he finally mutters "I've got a bad feeling about this." He tries to run away but finds he can't and is drawn in by forces beyond his control. This whole Iran thing strikes me that way. We're getting drawn into Ahmadinejad's apocolyptic fantasy bit by bit until the time comes when we will realize its too late to escape and we'll have to fight on a battlefield chosen by our enemy. Much like the Star Wars analogy, running away (if even possible) would be pointless. The evil out there which intends to do us harm will only grow stronger with more time.

Don't you miss the good old days of the Cold War?

2 comments:

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Let's assume we run the government. What should we do, in your opinion? "We're getting drawn into Ahmadinejad's apocolyptic fantasy bit by bit until the time comes when we will realize its too late to escape..." How can we escape in this case?

Rockeye said...

I had a much longer post written, but after reading it I realized I should just give you the summary.

I don't think that we can escape.

Given the information I have and assuming that I understand it correctly, I don't forsee any possibility that a vastly destructive military confrontation with Iran is avoidable. And the more time Iran has to prepare the worse it will be. We have absolutely no weapon that Ahmadinejad and his Mullahs fear; political, economic, or military.
So what can be done? Assuming that I run the government I would concentrate on building good intelligence, maximizing anti-ballistic missile defenses, preposition war materials sufficient to conduct at least 30 days of intense aerial bombing raids by our USAF and USN aircrews, take Homeland Security serious for a change, and get as many allies on board as possible. Old Europe, India, the UK Bloc, and Japan especially.
I have lots of specific ideas about what to do militarily, but since I only have access to open-source intel my ideas are necessarily flawed and incomplete.