Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Ray Bradbury - Now and Forever - Books - New York Times

Ray Bradbury - Now and Forever - Books - New York Times:

Something I never knew before; that Ray Bradbury vigorously denies that Fahrenheit 451 is a metaphor for censorship but rather the insidious evil that is television,

"Though Mr. Bradbury’s critics have bristled at his comments that “Fahrenheit 451” was not a novel about censorship — a statement that the paper trail in "Match to Flame” seems to disprove"


I find that when giving talks about his works he has had to argue with high school English teachers about what the books mean. "Actually, Mr. Bradbury, this is what you really meant..." said the diploma-holder from Push-M-Through U. I have a hard time imagining the arrogance necessary for a English teacher to scrap with an author, standing in front of him, of one of his own works.

3 comments:

Barbara Rubin said...

I just finished Now and Forever. Other than the the obvious (what you see...,) what is REALLY being said? What are the metaphors?

Barbara Rubin said...

I just finished Now and Forever. Other than the the obvious (what you see...,) what is REALLY being said? What are the metaphors?

Rockeye said...

Barbara,
I haven't actually read Now and Forever yet (bad me) but I will read it soon and I'll give you my analysis. I wonder what (if anything) Bradbury himself said about that story. Time for some reading and research!