Thursday, December 10, 2009

The lack of Texas accent makes all the difference

It is apparent that as long as one avoids the Texas accent, almost anything can be said by US presidents and it isn't likely to be criticized. Am I the only one who finds the paradox of a man accepting a prize for peace spending his allotted speaking time defending war unexpected?
I'm all for the destruction of our enemies, but I prefer the hypocrisy free spin myself.
"Such is the weight of he prize. Suddenly and forever, Obama is in the company of Gandhi, King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, the Dalai Lama."

Let's not forget Yassar Arafat, either.
"He won it, in the eyes of the Nobel committee, for changing the U.S. approach toward the world. The panel cited his efforts on nuclear disarmament, climate change and diplomacy."

If I remember, he was nominated far before he even took presidential office. Perhaps the "panel" should have cited his intent, not his efforts. I for one intend to enter both powerlifting competetions and marathons next year. Perhaps the prize committees for both will award me the first prize medals for my "efforts" as well.

No comments: