Saturday, October 15, 2005

Playing rugby again

I just played my first full game of rugby in several years. My vascular surgeon cleared me to start running and I took that to mean "running after those fast little bastards carrying the rugby ball." I whored in as a second row for the Wisconsin Rugby Club; hereafter known as the WRC. I huffed and puffed around the field like an asthmatic cape buffalo but it felt great anyway. I got in a few good runs and my play led directly to a couple of tries. Not shabby for my first full 15-on-15 40 minute-a-half with real referees and everything game in three years. Now the trick is finding a way to get to at least one practice per week and working my way onto the A-side.

*Disclaimer* if you don't understand any of the rugby jargon above, I'll summarize. I finally played a real, full, rugby game for the first time in three years. I played in an unfamiliar position but still played well. I'm terribly out of shape though and I suffered.

No comments: