Friday, May 01, 2009

Is Favre Retired, And Are you Tired Of Hearing This?

Brad Childress: Vikings will likely discuss Favre - NFL - SI.com

I have to admit that while professional sports are perhaps different than other jobs, they are still jobs. If some fool wanted to pay high-market rates for my services ($6-10 million plus) then why on earth wouldn't I take it? Who ever heard anyone ask if a nurse was worried about spoiling their legacy if they accepted a promotion, or questioned the wisdom of a trucker whose old company laid him off accepting a job with another trucking outfit? If Brett Favre wants to play football and the Vikings (or another team) wants him, then by all means, Brett: tear it up.
If Favre does go to the Vikings, and they beat Green Bay then Ted Thompson (the GBPs general manager) will look like an enormous douchebag for running him out of town. If he plays poorly then Thompson will be vindicated. However, anyone who questions the wisdom of a 39 year-old man accepting a highly-paid job offer for work which he is well-qualified, well that's just nuts. If my employer puts me out to pasture then why the hell wouldn't I take great offer from someone else if I still wanted to work?
I've been playing rugby for over 20 years now and I know I'm not the player I was ten years ago. I'm willing to be a backup and occasional starter now because as much as I love playing rugby I like the people I play with just as much. A generic rugby team is a pretty good bunch of guys and so is, I'd guess a generic professional football team.
So Brett, go ahead and play for whomever you like. Just don't expect Green Bay to cut you any slack.

No comments: