Monday, May 11, 2009

T.I. Goes To Prison (Finally)

T.I.: Responsibility Is A Lifestyle: It's Time to Bury Da Beef

T.I. is headed to prison for a year, for "being in the possession of illegal firearms." Actually he was convicted of possessing machine guns and silencers unlawfully, and possession of firearms in general. Machine guns and silencers can legally be purchased in the United States, but are highly-regulated and subject to many, many restrictions. Having these items without going through the proper procedures is a federal crime. Additionally, convicted felons cannot possess any firearms legally.
Anyway, T.I. (aka Clifford Joseph Harris, Jr.) as he is about to begin his prison term, says

I made some bad decisions. I broke the law and will accept my punishment. With
deep reflection about where my life was headed, I have begun the process of
redemption, and decided that before I go to prison, I want to speak to young
people about responsibility as a lifestyle.

Laudable sentiments, certainly. Then this;
I hope that through my mistakes, young people can begin to learn, as I did, that
we have to put our guns down and start to give our guns back. It pains me inside
to hear about so many of our people dying because of gun violence. Just in the
past weeks, a 13-year old boy was shot in the head in Harlem, a 17- and a
19-year old were murdered in a double homicide in Queens and a 15-year-old was
chased, beaten, shot and burned in Chicago.

Hey, T.I., how about this? Maybe hoodlums should stop shooting people in the head. Its not like handguns get that restless feeling that says they could use some more drugs, or get upset other guns are moving into their territory, or get jealous because the other gun gets to go to the rifle range instead. People do the deed of shooting other people in the head. People do not die from gun violence. People die from people violence. Many of my friends are gun owners and I can't say that any have shot others in the head or otherwise.
T.I. is going to prison because he is a convicted felon who bought machine guns and silencers. He will get to spend much quality time with people who don't need guns to do violent deeds. T.I. got off light, anyway. Federal sentencing guidelines are much harsher than twelve months for this crime, more like 57 months. Nice talking about taking responsibility after getting a sweetheart deal.

No comments: